The MakerCon Costume Contest is FREE and open to anyone who made something for their costume. Share what you make, share what you love, at the MakerCon Costume Contest!
October 27, 2018 — 6pm – 10pm
Colorado State Fair 4-H Auditorium
Registration day of event starts at 6pm.
Children All Ages and adults
Winners will be announced shortly after judging. Winners must be present to win.
What is MakerCon?
MakerCon is a combination of Maker and ComiCon ideals. A MakerCon would hand-make or engineer a part of their costume for increased costuming effects. For example they may engineer gears to actually work, or they may engineer a light or switch to turn on lights within their costume. CosPlay Costume Makers make costumes and fashion accessories to represent a specific character. Your costume must include some hand-made customization to your costume.
How will it work?
Contestants will register onsite at the registration table in the 4-H Auditorium and fill out a quick registration card and sign a consent form.
Any youth contestants under 18 years will need to have consent forms signed by parent or legal guardian. Contestants will be photographed before, during and after the show. Because of the public event, we cannot permit any youth with photo restrictions to participate.
Contestants will be divided into contest Divisions and assembled in order for Costume Parade.
Contestants will be given 1 minute to answer judges’ questions about their costume.
- Children’s: Children Contestants under 12 yrs. Each child must be accompanied by an adult at all times for safety (no exceptions). Accompanying adult will not be judged
- Beginner: This division is intended for costumers with little to moderate experience in making costumes or performing. If you have won multiple awards consider entering in advanced. Teenagers under 18 years old will automatically be placed into this category (unless overruled by judging staff)
- Advanced: Open to all ages for experienced costume makers – those REALLY GOOD at making costumes. Enter if you have won multiple cosplay contests or enter in Advanced normally
- Group: Group Open to all ages, Open to all group themes employing and highlighting Maker Aspects in their costume or theme
- Steampunk: This division is intended for Steampunk themed costumes and Cosplays. This division will be judged for creativity, ingenuity, and the Steampunk aesthetic and Maker Spirit.
- MakerCon: This division is intended for experienced Makers who retrofit their costumes with handmade, designed and custom innovations relating to the costume construction. This division will be judged for MakerCons who use code, programming or other sequenced, interactive or emergent technologies for implementing ingenuity into their costume creations.
- CosPlay: This theme is intended for experienced CosPlay Costume Makers, who make costumes and fashion accessories to represent a specific character.
- Open: This is an open theme, open to any theme or no theme.
For each award there will be a Certificate and Ribbons!
- Best in Show: This is given to an entrant or group who has shown an overall exceptional degree of craftsmanship and execution. This award may be given to an entry in any division, theme, group, or craftsperson.
- Second Place: This is given to an entrant or group who has shown an exceptional degree of craftsmanship and execution for their particular division or theme earning them the second place ribbon.
- Third Place : This is given to an entrant or group who has shown an exceptional degree of craftsmanship and execution for their particular division or theme earning the third place ribbon.
- Judges’ Awards: Each judge may grant an award to an entry that they feel is exceptional.
Below are our rules for MakerCon Costume Contest. These rules apply to ALL MakerCon Costumes regardless of entry in the contest or not.
- All entries must maintain a PG-13 rating. No excessive violence, sexual content, etc. This rule also applies to the costume itself; no over exposed individuals will be allowed on stage. The judges and CSUE staff reserve the right to turn away any entry they deem inappropriate.
- All costumes must provide as much body coverage as a bikini. Body paint, latex pasties, thongs, etc. are not considered adequate body coverage on their own. Underwear and/or supportive garments must be worn underneath revealing or skin-tight costumes.
- Contestants in the costume contest are expected to have a positive and sportsmanlike attitude. Unsportsmanlike behavior can be grounds for disqualification. Please be polite and respectful of the staff, judges and your fellow cosplayers/steampunkers and MakerCons.
- All contestants will be required to register and participate in prejudging.
- Anything that goes along with, will be worn, or will be included or presented during the contest, must be included and presented during pre-judging
- Picture taking: Do not stop for pictures in crowded aisles. Please go to a more open area, or outside to a less crowded area, or to the designated picture taking areas. Do not block doors, ramps, exits, corridors, and aisles while taking pictures.
- Mock or Play-fighting is not allowed in the contest area. Wielding or handling weapons or props in a way that could potentially cause harm to others is prohibited, whether there was intent to harm others or not.
- We reserve the right to remove you from the fairgrounds and/or cosplay/steampunk and MakerCon events at any time. If for any reason we feel that your actions pose a threat or hazard to others while at the contest, we will ask you to stop or you will be removed from the cosplay/steampunk/MakerCon events. We simply ask you to be courteous towards others at all times.
- No flashpots, explosive devices, or similar special effects are to be used. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and may be asked to leave.
- There is a maximum of 100 Costume Contest entries. Onsite registration for the Costume Contest is first come first served.
- Stage Rules apply to participants in both judged and exhibition portions of the event. If you are going on stage, this means you.
- The MakerCon Costume Contest is a kid-friendly all-ages environment. Keep your content PG-13, no cursing or inappropriate gestures.
- No jumping off the stage.
- No pyrotechnics, no confetti or glitter bombs, no water guns or blood splatters, no projectiles. Don’t make a mess.
- If it comes onstage with you, it must go offstage with you. Take this into consideration with any and all costumes, accessories, props, or set pieces.
- Do not interact with the judges unless they are speaking to you. They already have a job to do.
- All prop weapons must conform to the AetherHaus Cosplay Co. Weapons Policy, which is as follows: All weapons must be non-working. No functioning projectile weapons – including water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols. Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed and peace tied at all times. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and may be asked to leave the fairgrounds. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow non-functioning, appropriate cosplay weapons.
- The Cosplay/Steampunk/MakerCon director has the right to change your division to a higher division to create a fair competition. Consider this an honor.